Pages

Sunday 25 January 2015

Buttons and Twirls (How to Create Social Media Icons Post 1 of 2)

I'm determined to keep my New Year's resolution and get my head around HTML this year.  Since I started this blog I've been spending a lot of time immersing myself in the blogging community. After all the best way to learn something is to get out there into the social cyber space and learn from the pros. One of the aspects I've seen repeatedly and really liked was the buttons or social media icons that folks have. A wonderful and seriously creative array of styles, with everything from cutesy bunting to fun and funky flowers. I didn't have the first clue about how to set these up, so I asked a friend and blogging guru over at Lemon Freckles for some advice.



She pointed me in the direction of Pinterest, so I headed on over and searched for a style that suited my blog. It didn't take me long, icons seem to be an even bigger deal than I realised and everybody who's anybody is apparently creating them! I downloaded some from Design Bolts for free, it's a great website and has a huge range of FREE stuff for your enjoyment!  So I grabbed my icons and downloaded them, then I sat looking at them wondering how on earth I was supposed to turn these pretty pictures into web links?!


 My brain was baffled!  So I turned to You Tube, which I tend to think of as my daily oracle!  If there's anything EVER that I want to learn it's the best place to go.  It never stops amazing me that there's always someone who has the answer!  I sat for a few hours with a pack of jammy dodgers and a big mug of tea, watching as these tube geniuses wowed me with their skills/  Eventually I felt confident enough to do it myself and headed back to my blog, about half an hour later I was squeeing in delight and jumping around the room like a Springtime bunny as my icons linked through to my pages!  I felt so pleased with myself, step 1 of understanding coding - DONE!


No comments:

Post a Comment